Taking a Knee

Kennedy+O%27Malley
Kennedy O'Malley

Kennedy O'Malley

Kennedy O'Malley

Kennedy O'Malley, Opinion/Editiorial Writer

During the National Anthem in NFL football games recently many of the players have been kneeling in protest against President Trump and police brutality. Many people argue that it’s their right to protest and, as Colin Kapernick said, “I am not going to stand up and  show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color.” I understand and fully support, the right to protest but I don’t think during the National Anthem is the time to do so.

Mr. Goodyear, a teacher at Parkside High School and a former football player said the football players “should’ve never done it during the National Anthem,” and they “should’ve done it at a different time.” Jake Antezana, a current assistant football coach at Parkside, said “They have the right to do so but I don’t agree with it.” When you think about the men and women who fight for this country every day and their families who sacrifice everything to keep this country safe and to protect our rights it is very disrespectful to them. During the National Anthem is not the time to protest when there are people risking their lives fighting for the flag everyday, it is disrespectful and ineffective. They are just doing it for show, it hasn’t changed anything. The football players play for our National Football Team and they are protesting the flag that they play for. Also, with half of the team kneeling and the other half standing it starts to tear the team apart. If people on the team are going against each other on such a strong issue it will tear the whole team and the NFL itself apart. The football players should find a more effective time and place to protest police brutality and President Trump.