PHS Parking, A Work In Progress

Jonathan Maciarello, news writer

The construction that started at the end of last year has caused some parking problems to arise but the faculty of Parkside has worked together to fix these problems. When construction started, many teachers’ parking spots were removed causing the teachers to have to park in the old junior lot.

This year, to fix this problem they removed student parking from that lot, and now students must park in the CTE parking lot or the senior lot next to the bus ramp. In an interview with Mrs. Penny, she said that the old junior lot will be open back up to students January of 2020. Mrs. Penny went on to saying, “I believe that parking has worked out wonderfully this year. Our staff has worked very hard to work around the construction and accommodate both teachers and students. This year 39 students have registered to park in the senior lot and 160 spots are left, there is plenty of parking available for the students.” Mrs. Penny also explained that any violators of the parking rules or failure to buy a parking pass will result in a parking ticket or other punishments such as detention, and or referrals.

The other side of the issue is reflected by some students who are licensed drivers. Asher Amey has a somewhat different perspective on the new parking and went on to say “The new parking arrangements have greatly affected me. Now I have to park all the way in the CTE parking lot, even though almost all of my classes are in the mod hall which is right next to the old junior lot. It puts me at a great inconvenience because I have to walk such a great distance.” Even though the parking changes are mostly unavoidable and efficient some students believe there could be accommodations made. Asher also went on to say, “If we are trusted to drive to and from school safely we should be allowed to park in the old junior lot and walk through the construction to get to class.”

The school has also started to restrict any parents from dropping off students at the senior lot. This should also help free up some parking for the students by removing the extra traffic the picture. Parents are to only drop off their children in the car rider line from now on. Overall the parking changes have gone great and the Parkside faculty has handled it very well.