Football Injuries

The varsity football team has been drastically downsized due to the large amounts of injuries they have suffered this year.   The team has lost three of its starters that were key positions for the team.  Josh Todd, Brady Smith, and Trevin Vasquez have been limited to the side lines for the rest of the season.

Josh Todd, a senior running back and safety for team tore his ACL in the second game.  He has been playing since freshman year and says, “I was looking forward to my senior year, and dominating the field.  I was angry and disappointed when I realized that I wouldn’t be able to play the rest of the year.”  Now Josh says he’s just rooting for the team to make it as far as possible, “I’m just along for the ride.”

Brady Smith, is a junior middle linebacker.  This would have been his second year on varsity.  Now without Brady they are limited to only three linebackers leaving not much depth.  Middle linebackers is a difficult position and very tiring.

Trevin Vasquez is a senior safety for team and has been dealing with a shoulder injury for the past year.  This year that injury left him sidelined and cheering for the team not being able to play.  With this injury at safety the team has lost both of their safeties leaving Coach Riley scrambling to replace the two of them with backups one of them being from JV.

Coach Riley said, “losing this amount of players in these key postions has definitely impacted us.  They brught depth and experience, without them there is a hole in our team.  We have been doing a good job covering for them and our season has been going well so far.  With our win over Easton we sent a message to the rest of the teams that we can still play ball despite our injuries.”

A study found that, in high school and college football, there are an average of 7.23 catastrophic head injuries per year: there were 0.67 injuries per 100,000 high school players and 0.21 injuries per 100,000 college players.  People that work in sports science are constantly trying to develop helmets and other equipment to make football safer and prevent the injuries from happening.