Is 5 minutes really enough?

Marvin McCaskill, News Editor

One of the biggest problems of last school year at Parkside was  the large number of tardies from students when going to class. In fact, lateness was the #1 infraction that students of the school were given referrals for. For years students have always been expected to make it from any class in the school to another in 5 minutes. A time the administration of the school has claimed to be very reasonable. Some students however would disagree. So are the students given enough time to get to classes? This is what school administrator Mr, Briggs wanted to know.Mr. So he conducted a little experiment by walking the same halls students do. Briggs was asked why he decided to take the walk in the first place, “I wanted to experience what the students experience when walking in the halls”. When asked what did he think of the current 5-minute rule he said, “I think the rule is fair, I believe that 95% of the lateness is the fault of students, when I’m in the hallway I see a lot of students more interested in socializing than getting to class”.

Mr. Briggs informed teachers on how he decided to walk from mod hall, through the bus ramp, through the A-wing then left and down through the gym hall way then out to the foreign language portables. A very long distance, longer than what the average students walk. The time it took for him to walk that distance was about 4 ½ minutes. 30 seconds less than what is expected of students, however he made this walk while there was no one else in the hallway, much different than what students go through, walking alongside hundreds of other people which Mr.Briggs did acknowledge.

Mr. Briggs expressed how the 5-minute rule will not be changed as it would make lateness even more of a problem. When asked what can students who walk long distances do to stop lateness he said, “Students that do have to walk long ways should talk their teachers if they have an actual problem getting to class on the time.” The 5-minute rule will not be changing anytime soon so the best option as of now is to move as fast as they can and talk to their teachers. Mass lateness should be of a thing of the past this year.