How Does School Make YOU Feel?

Kennedy O'Malley, Opinion/Editorial Writer

Recently I was scrolling through twitter when I came across a tweet that said “If school makes you depressed, stressed, and gives you anxiety rt (retweet) this please, I’m trying to prove a point to my teacher.” The tweet got 158,000 retweets and 101,000 likes which means all of those people agree with this statement and claim that school makes them depressed, anxious, and/or stressed. The girl who tweeted this also tweeted “…my teacher says that school can’t make you depressed and that we do it to ourselves???” I disagree with this teacher and I think school can be extremely stressful.

When I was a sophomore and junior I had a full day at school, from 7:45am-2:45pm and I was a student athlete. After I got out of school at 2:45pm I went straight to practice from about 3:00pm-5:00pm after practice I normally went straight home and started homework which usually took my the rest of the night with a break for dinner leaving me no time to hang out with friends or anything really. I was also involved in many extra curricular activities which had events, meetings, etc. after school. So, on a day that I had extra curricular activities  after school my schedule was, go to school, go to practice, go to my extra curricular, and finally come home and do homework but by the time I was done with my homework it was about 11:00pm-12:00am. I woke up at about 6:30 everyday in order to get to school on time which means I would only get about 6-7 hours of sleep every night and normally teenagers should be getting between 8-9 hours every night. I can say that during those times especially, school made me depressed and stressed. I barely had any time to hang out with friends or do anything besides school and sports and during that time I didn’t have a job so you also have to think about the students who do all of that but also have a job.

In an article in Time Magazine written by Susanna Schrobsdorff she reported that “about 30% of girls and 20% of boys-totaling 6.3 million teens-have had anxiety disorder, according to data from the National Institute of Mental Health. Experts suspect that these statistics are on the low end of what’s really happening, since many people do not seek help for anxiety and depression.” Stress and difficult life circumstances can result in depression and an entire school year of stress is a lot and is enough to cause someone to fall into depression. The National Institutes of Health reported in an article that “Depression is not your fault of caused by something you did wrong.” In this article they stress that being depressed and anxious is not your fault. So just being stressed in school can lead to anxiety and depression and having a full day of activities including homework (and sometimes not even having time to finish your homework) can be extremely stressful for a high school student.

A reporter, Margaret Shapiro, from The Washington Post wrote an article called “Stressed-out Teens, With School as a Main Cause,” which talked about a survey from the American Psychological Association. The survey was conducted online and reported that 1,018 teenagers, ages 13 to 17, and 1,950 adults felt overwhelmed and depressed because of their high stress levels. The article also says, “Eighty-three percent of teens said that school was ‘a somewhat or significant source of stress.’ Twenty-seven percent reported ‘extreme stress’ during the school year, though that number fell to 13 percent over the summer.”

This survey clearly shows that during the school year many students feel at least a little bit stressed during the school year. Depression and Anxiety can have many different causes depending on the person and the situation but depression and anxiety are serious brain conditions and I do not believe that students bring it upon themselves and I believe that school can cause these illnesses.