Smart Team

Abu Ahmed, Student Life writer

Smart Team is a club that started two years ago by former Parkside guidance counselor Mr. Tony Giddens to motivate students to improve their G.P.A and to improve their community. The Smart team began their 2017 sessions on November 8th. To be a member of Smart Team the only pre-requisite to is having a 2.5 minimum G.P.A. The Smart Teams main goal is to go out and help tutor kids here at Parkside High, over at Wicomico middle, and all over the community. The Smart team works alongside the W.E.B Du Bois honor society to motivate members to strive higher with their education. The honor society requires members to be a sophomore or higher and have at least a 2.5 G.P. A on the first term, at least a 2.9 G.P. A on the second term, at least a 3.0 on the third term, and at least a 3.5 on their fourth term.

The W.E.B Du Bois honor society gives a theme every year to all the members so they can begin working on a presentation. The W.E.B Du Bois honor society takes members on a trip to Hampton University in Virginia every year to take part in a banquet and receive a tour of the university. During this trip presentations for the specific theme that year will be shown and judged. After the trip every year there is an induction ceremony at Bennet High where members watch slide shows of what the honor society is about. Shortly after students with winning presentations at the banquet can perform them for their fellow members.

The W.E.B Du Bois honor society is a big part of Smart Team, but is not all of what Smart Team is about. The Smart Team also benefits the community and assists teachers and students with what they must do. All Parkside students that meet the criteria are encouraged to consider becoming a part of Smart Team.