Prom Promise

Harley Ennis

Prom season is approaching ladies and you may be noticing that between hair, nails, and make-up that your funds are running low. For most of us prom is a expensive occasion but non-the-less a important high school tradition. However, the organization, Prom Promise, makes it easier for students to save money by offering Prom gowns to people who can’t offord to purchase a Prom dress for themselves.

Prom Promise is a non-profit organization who collects new or gently used gowns from bridal shops and local donators. The organization uses the dresses that are donated to provide high school students who can’t afford to buy a Prom dress with the oppertunity to receive a free gown. The Prom Promise dress give away event will be on February 10th from 10am- 3pm at the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship Church in Salisbury, Maryland. In order to go to the event you must see your gudiance counselor to see if you are eligible to receive a voucher.

Some of the dresses that are available in the give away were modeled by some of Parksides own students, Liza Ervin and Abby Rebstock. Being high school seniors they were asked to model some of the dresses to show the public exactly what is to be expected at the event. Liza and Abby seemed to be extremely pleased with the organization and the idea of giving dresses to people who may not be able to afford them. Abby said, ” I think that this is a good organization that needs to be more publicized.”  Liza was also very pleased with the organization and loved modeling for them, she stated, ” It was the experience of a life time.” Both of the gowns that they wore were beautiful and well fitted.

However Prom Promise doesn’t just give away dresses, they give away handbags, accessories and make-up. This is a great way to lower the cost and to still have a special night, so if you are interested be sure to contact your guidance councleor.

They are also taking donations so if  you have any handbags. gowns, or accessories you would like to donate please contact Betsy Robinson at [email protected]