Wicomico County Academic Calendar

Carleigh Foster

The Wicomico County council has approved the 2018-2019 academic calendar. The school year will start September 4th, 2018 and is going to end June 12th, 2019. The meeting to vote took place January 16th, 2018 and the calendar was just released January 25th, 2018. Starting this 2017-2018 school year students will not be allowed to remain be in school past June 15th of that school year. This academic calendar meets the Governor’s requirements to finish the school year before June 15th and to start after labor day. Although a longer summer break is nice, this new rule of when school can begin and finish gives us a shorter Christmas break.

I talked to junior Maura Mears and  asked her opinion on the new academic calendar and she seemed pretty excited about it. “I really like that school is starting later and ending earlier next year. Next year I will be a senior so I won’t be in school until June 15th but it is nice that even though we had lots of snow days this year, we won’t be in school until the end of June.” Next school years Christmas break will start December 21st, 2018-January 2nd, 2019. Spring break will start April 19th, 2019 and end April 22nd, 2019. It’s nice that our Christmas break is 2 weeks but because of that our sprig break is only 4 days. There are other days we will be off of school because of national holidays and teacher professional days. Speaking of teachers, they always have a long school year starts August 27th, 2019 and ends June 13th, 2019.

Freshman Kaitlin Cashman also gave her input on the next school years calendar. “I’m really excited for next year! I’ll be a sophomore so I won’t have to go to freshman orientation day which is nice because that’s another day to sleep in. I also play field hockey and this calendar gives us a longer preseason which is more time for the team to practice before our games start up when school starts which is great.”