Fuel Up To Play 60 Volleyball Tournament

Fuel up to play 60 is an initave parkside does in order to get students active for at least 60 minutes a day.  Even though students usually don’t have physical education class year round the goal of Fuel Up to play 60 is to get students active outside of physical education class. The way Parkside physical education promotes the Play 60 initave is to have a school wide volleyball tournament.

The school wide volleyball tournament consists of one team from each class period, so a total of seven teams along with a teachers team that the winner of the classes will play at the end. This year fifth period swept the competition going undefeated in their class tournament and the school wide tournament. Their team was anchored by two of Parksides stellar athletes in Jose Vaquez and Ashley Thomas. Captain of the team, Vasquez says “Playing in the tournament is more than just playing to win, as a student athlete here at Parkside I want to encourage other students to be active and live a healthier lifestyle by being active outside of PE class.”

Thomas added on to Vasquez’s comments by saying “Being apart of the Fuel Up to play 60 volleyball tournament is an honor to represent my class in order to encourage others to be active more and winning the tournament was just a plus because I got to represent my class.” Though the semester is coming to an end the physical education department does the volleyball tournament twice a year once per semester. So seven more teams will have a chance to take the school title from the fifth period class.