Doubling Down with Dual Enrollment

As a Junior or Senior in high school in students are able to take classes at Wor-Wic Community College. This gives high school students an opportunity to receive college credits before they graduate high school. This means they have a head start with their credits before they get to college. Also, This gives them a chance to get college credits for a lower price. Carissa Gabbard said she likes “Being able to get college credits for a lower price, and getting ahead on credits.” However she added that “some of the teachers aren’t as good and there isn’t much you can do about it.”

To be eligible for dual enrollment, students must have a cumulative weighted grade point average of 2.75 or above, they must have their graduation requirements completed, and be at least 16 years old by the start of the semester. Dual enrollment classes are only offered in place of high school AP classes. For example, rather than taking AP English 12, students are able to go to Wor-Wic and take Fundamentals of English II.

There are multiple things that should go into consideration before choosing to do dual enrollment. The first thing to look into is would your credits transfer to the school you are planning on going to because if you plan on going to a University that doesn’t accept the credits then you are out of the money you spent on the classes. Another question to ask yourself is whether or not taking a class at Wor-Wic is actually the best thing for you. Many people say that they take Wor-Wic classes to avoid a certain teacher, or to avoid a senior project. This may benefit you by making your senior year easier, however it may not get you ready for the amount of work you will be required to do in college.