On My Block (new binge-worthy show)

Farah Louis

A new Netflix original just came out and it’s the new binge. What we can all appreciate about our Netflix originals is knowing that only Netflix subscribers have access to these excellent shows. One of which is the new coming-of-age show ‘on my block’. Set in modern day south L.A, we are introduced to a diverse group of pals. There’s Cesar, Ruby, Jamal and Monse. A fearsome foursome that is about to find out how awesome high school is. However along the road, some issues with each others lives or lifestyle will reveal how stressful growing up can be.

For Ceasar, his life always suffers the dangers of being involved in the gang. The gang is run by Cesars’s brother, an ex con who is feared by the whole block. Cesar (Diego Tinoco) will have to be next in line to be in charge of things which is what he and all his friends spend their time trying to avoid. The crew spends most of their time trying to save their friend from this terrible life even though the odds don’t seem in their favor. Throughout the show, secrets are kept to protect the greater good while other secrets are just better off as secrets. This show will make you go crazy, laugh, cry and just ride an amazing emotional roller coaster through all 10 episodes.  Most can appreciate the brown representation in the show. Representing the culture adds conflict and a more interesting touch to the show.

The comedic aspect to show is added by Jamal (Brett Gray), a young black teen obsessed with finding some kind of money he believes is stashed somewhere in town. He is sort of the one those in the group look up to for comfort or guidance in a situation. Only one thing, he’s terrible at keeping secrets, mostly other people’s secrets. Monse (Sierra Capri) is the only girl in the group. Her demanding and stubborn attitude sort of makes her the leader. Throughout the show, she spends her time hiding her feelings for Cesar and trying to find out more about the mother that left her when she was two. Ruby (Jason Genao) is the best representation of what coming of age really means. He deals with the most pressures with what comes with growing up. He is given more responsibility, taking action in serious matters and sticking up for your friends. All teens have a chance to look up to and relate to these characters for there differences in personality.

All are encouraged to watch this show for its very interesting plot twists and experience some moments of regretful laughter.  As you watch, you’ll certainly fall in love with the cast and include yourself in their squad. You’ll appreciate the value in addressing the serious matters of today’s society and enjoy watching others understand the struggle of being a high school student. You’ll want to cry when they cry and laugh when they laugh. This binge worthy show will leave you wanting more especially after the most unpredictable plot twist at the finale.