The March For Our Lives

Taylor Dodd

On March 24, 2018 the March For Our Lives took place in Washington DC. Over two million people were in attendance from all over the united states in order to come together in order to demand gun control and stand in solidarity of all people affected by gun violence. The school shooting in Parkland, Florida was the catalyst for this march and it has been primarily led by the teenagers from the school. There has been a country-wide school walkout where students left classes at ten in the morning for seventeen minutes to honor the seventeen students killed in the Parkland shooting.

The movements that have happened since the terrible shooting, is amazing. To see students taking charge of the movement against violence is incredible and truly empowering as a teenager to see that we will not be silenced anymore. Whatever side of the argument you are on, teenagers are finally able to voice their opinions and demand a change from adults and legislation. Teenagers are the newest force against injustice and we will not stand down.

At the March For Our Lives, many celebrities including Miley Cyrus, Zendaya, Jennifer Hudson, and Charlie Puth were there to honor the victims and support the marchers. There were young children, adults, teenagers, and so many people from extremely diverse backgrounds. Everyone there was supporting gun reform and honoring the victims of any and all shootings. People are demanding a change and they refuse to be silenced.

The next school walkout will be on April 20, 2018, on the 19th anniversary of the columbine shooting where thirteen students and teachers were senselessly killed. This walkout is another opportunity to protest and stand in solidarity to prevent this from every happening again. The Never Again movement is a great way for teenagers and anyone else to get involved in the fight against protecting students, families, and everyday people from gun violence.