Mrs. Nicholson Day at Parkside

A Great day for a great parkside teacher.

Marvin McCaskill, News Editor

Mrs McKinnon formerly Ms. Nicholson has been a successful mathematics teacher for 12 years, instructor of Parkside’s teacher academy of Maryland, and tennis coach, math team coach, mathematics department chair, and more at Parkside Highschool. She is admired by many, so many that she was nominated Teacher of the Year at Parkside, which is an achievement by itself, but she and her admires pushed it even further to make her Teacher of the Year for the entirety of Wicomico county.

As a celebration of Parkside teacher becoming wicomic counties teacher of the year, the school decided to make March 23rd “Mrs. Mckinnon Day”.

The day was celebrated with a parade of students, staff, and teachers recognizing Mrs. McKinnon around the school, showing her affection and gratitude wherever she went. Students all over the school followed her to add significance to the day. The most important part of the day being when teachers, staff, and students gathered in the gymnasium to give Mrs. McKinnon a standing ovation and to give speeches congratulating her, expressing great appreciation and care for the Teacher of the Year. Later in the day she also made an appearance on our local Public Access Channel.

There were tons of kind words shared with the school regarding Mrs. McKinnon from students and staff.  School principal Ms. Pinhey delivered a warming speech saying, “Mrs McKinnon reaches out to students through coaching and mentoring and encourages students to become better versions of themselves”

Mrs McKinnon also gave her own speech in the gym, giving appreciation to her students and peers who helped her get this far. When describing her feeling of being Teacher of the Year she said, “ I can’t even begin to tell you how honored I am to be representing Wicomico county, but more importantly representing Parkside and my students” The entire moment was filled with positivity. And the rest of the school year should be filled with that same positivity with a person like Mrs. McKinnon representing our school.